Thursday, October 26, 2006

Snowstorm in Colorado

We woke up to a white backyard with trees bent over, heavy with snow. My Bradford Pear in the far corner was doubled over so much that I had to look really hard to find it! It lost a branch despite being being frequently shaken.

Oh no! My aspen and my other tree with brown leaves, that I wishfully thought was a Japanese Maple.

My dogwood! Oh no! My favorite tree!

The aspens across the street were in worse shape...

The cottonwood, too. Much as I despise this tree, I didn't want it to lose any branches.

Across from the cottonwood, this tree stands tall and serene; almost as if to say "I told you to lose those leaves..."

...while my dogwood grows heavier...

Uh-oh! We have a bigger problem with the other dogwood. It's bent over and is hugging the neighbor's roof! A mature maple in the yard next door lost 4 branches.

A closer look at the heavy branches. Those could do some serious damage to the roofs when the winds kick in!

...and the other dogwood bends over further and loses its first branch. :-(

...and starts leaning over a young maple...

My neighbor climbed high into the tree and shook all the snow off the branches. We used a pole to shake the branches he couldn't get to.

There he is shaking the other dogwood. When the pole had next to no effect, he climbed up the tree and then onto the roof. If I hadn't been wearing gloves, my nails would have been chewed to the bone.

I do love my trees so it was a huge relief when the dogwoods sprang back to normal!

This is what my dogwood is like in winter. Gorgeous!

4 introspections:

Anonymous October 31, 2006 7:47 AM  

cool description. pic by pic.
Hope condition is under control.

Anonymous November 07, 2006 2:22 PM  

Hey Manisha, Just saw this. Hope you guys are doing OK. After the October snow storm in Buffalo, I can imagine what the trees felt like the next morning with snow. Stay warm!

Anonymous November 07, 2006 2:41 PM  

Paavani and Mandira, it was cold and snowed all morning. Some suburbs of Denver got over 2 ft of wet snow. The mountains got about 3 ft. Friends in Evergreen, Colorado had to dig themselves out!

For us, it was short-lived just like it usually is. The problem with this storm was that the snow was wet and heavy and most of the trees still have their leaves. The branches tend to get very heavy from the weight of the snow and break, falling on electricity lines and roofs, causing damage.

In our school district, only those schools in the mountains were closed. When my daughter came back from school later that day, she was wearing just a light jacket and that, too, rather reluctantly as the sun had come out and it had warmed up to the low 40s. The next evening I went for a walk in just a sweater even though it was 39F. The snow was almost gone! The sun makes a huge difference here in Colorado!!

We're at 73F right now. Must go on a bike ride today!! Don't have to do much to stay warm today. But it won't last cos the weekend is supposed to bring in some rain and snow.

Anonymous December 02, 2006 5:44 AM  

i luuuv snow storms! :)
And I luv Colorado winters with it's sunny days. You are sooo lucky.

One of the worst ones was in 97 when, the then still new, Denver airport had to be closed for a couple of days with people stranded all the way to the airport. It started to fall on a Fri evening, I think, and snowed all night!

Next morning there was a foot of snow on the table outside. I had to call the landlord (next doors) to remove the snow outside the door so I could open it to get out. And some of that snow stayed the whole winter!

Glad your trees made it.

(Wow, you bike!) :)

Happy snow-days to you.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP