Thursday, November 30, 2006

Flower Fest - F for Fringe Tree

Life has been very hectic lately. And the Holiday Season is also upon us, making this the busiest season at work, too. So much to do, not enough hours in the day. Because of this and the wonderful weather we're having - not! - it's zero F (yes! F! not C!) and we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground - I am not featuring a Colorado wildflower for Flower Fest - F. Instead, I have for you the beautiful Fringe Tree.

Chionanthus virginicus, also known as the Old Man's Beard, sports fragrant white flowers with fringe-like petals. The Chinese Fringe Tree is wonderful to have on small lots as it does not grow taller than 10-15 feet. In the wild, it can grow up to 30 feet.

I took these pictures at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, Illinois, last summer.

Flower Fest - the A-Z of FlowersThis is my entry for the letter F in the Flower Fest - the A - Z of Flowers.

Flower Fest is the brainchild of Nature & Me and Sree. Every two weeks, the focus will be on a letter of the English alphabet. The current letter is F. I am submitting photographs of flowers as my entries.

Tags: , , ,

5 introspections:

Sree November 30, 2006 10:18 AM  

It does look like a beard! Definitely a great entry inspite of ur hectic schedule Manisha:)

Anonymous November 30, 2006 12:54 PM  

Its different!
And I liked the fact that you clicking such flower pictures from a long time. Like again something from your photo album :)

Anonymous December 03, 2006 4:48 PM  

Never seen these flowers before. They do look like a white flowing beard. Wonderful pic's.

Anonymous December 04, 2006 12:14 PM  

You manage to find the most unusual flowers. Hope you are keeping warm. There was talk of snow for today, but looks like a no show.

Anonymous December 10, 2006 10:30 PM  

Sree, yup! Very much like a white straggly beard! I made it in time for F. At least I didn't have to pick up a pencil or paints! Phew!

Paavani, I've been taking pictures of flowers for a long time now. I just don't know all their names. Flower Fest is becoming a great way to find out more about flowers!

N&M, its a beautiful tree and the fragrance is is a mild sweet scent, not sickly sweet or annoying.

Gini, I am shutter-happy. I found this tree in the Morton Arboretum. There is a botanical garden in Denver which we still haven't been to. I must make a trip soon as they do have an indoor arena.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP