Saturday, January 27, 2007

Flower Fest - J for Jacob's Ladder

Jacob's Ladder is a delicate, ornamental flower from a genus of 25 flowering plants called Polemonium. I think the picture below is of Jacob's Ladder but since I don't have a close-up of the flowers, I am not entirely sure. If anyone knows whether these are or are not Jacob's Ladder, please let me know!


And, so the challenge continued for J. It's been snowing every Friday or every weekend for the past 6 weeks - yes, we're already picked up 3 inches today - and the chances of going anywhere is very low, making it even more difficult to take new pictures of flowers. The writing was pretty clear on the wall that I was going to have to attempt to paint something.

Please be gentle with me. I have never done any painting in my life - except for some basic fabric painting. This is the first time I have done a watercolor. I know of no techniques and sometimes I wonder if I know how to hold a paintbrush. I used watercolor pencils and a combination of wet and damp paintbrushes to come up with my first and only masterpiece.


Since most folks will need to know what the flower really looks like, I based my watercolor on this gorgeous picture.

Flower Fest - the A-Z of FlowersThis is my entry for the letter J in the Flower Fest - the A - Z of Flowers.

Flower Fest is the brainchild of Nature & Me and Sree. Every two weeks, the focus will be on a letter of the English alphabet. The current letter is J. I am submitting photographs of flowers as my entries.

Tags: , , ,

3 introspections:

Anonymous January 31, 2007 11:02 PM  

Pretty good for a first water colour! I totally suck - though I can (used to) do reasonably okay with oils and oil pastels. Good job.

Anonymous February 03, 2007 2:29 AM  

you painted very nice, doesnt look like 1st time painted :)

Anonymous February 06, 2007 5:28 PM  

Thanks, Anita! Let's hope I improve or I need to find flowers to take pictures of real soon!

Paavani, thanks! But believe me: first time! I know nothing about technique or even how to hold a brush.

How about entries for K from both of you, huh?

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP