Monday, March 26, 2007

Tree Unknown - not any more!



This flowering tree gets beautiful dark red to maroon leaves through summer and fall. I have no clue what it is. Now that I know what the flowers look like, I'm hoping I will be able to identify it. It is young - at the most a couple of years old - and is about 7-8 ft tall.

Another picture

Update: thanks to the ever resourceful Bee, I was able to identify my tree as the Prunus cerasifera 'Atropurpurea': Pissard Plum. It is popularly known as the Purple-leaved Plum or the Cherry Plum.

Yay! Thank you, Bee!

7 introspections:

bee March 26, 2007 6:13 PM  

we have a tre that gets dark maroon leavs. they start out green, then it gets fragrant white flowers, then the leaves turn maroon. it's called 'chokecherry' yours must be related to it.

Anonymous March 26, 2007 7:12 PM  

And, related it is! Thanks for giving me a place to start my search at!

This is the Purple-leaved Plum or the Cherry Plum. Its botanical name is Prunus cerasifera 'Atropurpurea'. And it is also called the Pissard Plum. Don't ask me to explain that one!

The leaves of my tree are never green. They are varying shades of deep red. Last year I thought it might be a Japanese maple (what do I know?!) but then I looked at the prices of those trees and knew that there was no way the previous owner would have spent that kind of money on a tree!

It flowers first and then the leaves show up. Right now there are flower buds, white flowers with a pink center and very very few leaves. Apparently this will be followed by a rich crop of edible purple fruit! I can't wait. I guess we missed this last year, too!

Apparently it is a problematic tree. :-( I guess I need to find out more. Thus far, my luck with trees has been much better than my luck with plants!

Thank you so much, Bee!

bee March 26, 2007 8:48 PM  

the thing with cherry-like fruits is that the birds often get to them before we do. if we get to them too early, they aren't ripe enough. here's hoping you get enough fruit, though. our chokecherry is supposed to be bitter. the birds like the fruit.

Ranjani March 26, 2007 9:38 PM  

okay , i came here following manisha's post in my site .
Awesome photography .
But i have no clue abt names of flowers( i know rose) , so everything bee & manisha are talking here is going over my head .lol.

Anonymous March 26, 2007 10:03 PM  

Ranjani, I didn't know much about names either. I still don't but I look and look till I find a match.

You paint so well that I thought I might seed the idea.

Flower Fest is where the flowers are at. Check it out whenever you get some time.

Ranjani March 26, 2007 11:19 PM  

i'll try to find something from O & see what i can do about it . If i really do manage to submit something for this event , it's a huge achievement for me cos i know zero abt gardening & the only flower i really know abt is rose.So cant wait for "R" to come :))))

Anonymous March 26, 2007 11:25 PM  

Now that's the spirit!

See this: Flowers of India for some gorgeous flowers. And, for flowers
by scientific name
by common name

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP