Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Flower Fest - S for Snow-in-Summer

Last year I was looking for some attractive ground cover for my so-called attempt at a 'rock garden' when I chanced upon beautiful silvery gray-green foliage that came with the promise of white dainty blooms in early summer. It was only after I bought some that I found them growing wild at almost every corner of the trails I walked on! And needless to say, it's considered an invasive plant!



Snow-in-Summer or Cerastium tomentosum are perennials that reseed every year. They thrive in well-drained poor soil and are drought-tolerant. That explains why they grow so profusely around here!



They are called Snow-in-Summer because bloom profusely from late spring to early summer and the teeny white flowers look like a matt of white snow on the silvery foliage. I just have to be careful that it doesn't take over the entire bed!




Flower Fest - the A-Z of FlowersThis is my entry for the letter S in the Flower Fest - the A - Z of Flowers.

Flower Fest is the brainchild of Nature & Me and Sree. Every two weeks, the focus will be on a letter of the English alphabet. The current letter is S. I am submitting photographs of flowers as my entries.

Tags: , ,

7 introspections:

shilpa May 31, 2007 12:36 PM  

Hi Manisha, how are you? Beautiful entry to FF. I like the name a lot too.

Indian Food Rocks May 31, 2007 1:16 PM  

You're back! Hope you had a great time! I can't wait to see what you have brought back with you by way of pictures!

Glad you liked this flower. It's simple but a little bit of a rogue. I took a couple more pictures last evening of flourishing snow-in-summer and then my camera promptly ran out of juice. I hope to update this post with them soon!

shilpa May 31, 2007 1:46 PM  

Manisha, I saw your fuchsia photo taken on Lombard street and squealed coz I have taken the same picture.Isn't it funny? :)

Indian Food Rocks May 31, 2007 1:53 PM  

I know the feeling! Although this time, I was more into the moment than pictures so I didn't take as many pictures as I normally would have!

mtnmuffin June 05, 2007 10:07 AM  

Hi Mansiha,

I am a friend of Jigs and Pratibah. Yes, I am the high altitude foodie!

I feel that I must share with you, that your flower pix are very soothing and pretty. Since you are located in Colorado, if possible take a drive up to Rabbit Ears or Independence Pass, sometime in early to mid July if possible. The views of fields and meadows filled with natures yellows, purples, oranges and whites supply a stunning delight to the eyes and are guaranteed to please!

ENJOY!

Pelicano July 31, 2007 1:03 AM  

Oh my gosh, those snow-in-summers are gorgeous!

Indian Food Rocks July 31, 2007 3:17 PM  

mtnmuffin, early to mid-July is gone! I hope there are still some flowers in August. I'll be getting in touch with you soon about other stuff!

Pel, the last two pics are not of my yard but representative of what we see here in the month of May. :-)

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP