Thursday, May 17, 2007

Flower Fest - R for Rudbeckia fulgida

Rudbeckia fulgida or the Black-eyed Susan, as it is commonly known, is a very popular flowering plant. It is an easy-to-grow perennial that is native to the US. It is loved for its bright yellow/orange ray florets and its cone-like head of dark disk florets.


I have some rudbeckia seedlings that are about 7 weeks old now. So when I found out that this plant spreads aggressively by both rhizomes and seed, I wondered whether I am going to have another mint on my hands!


Rudbeckia blooms from mid to late summer into fall. It does well at higher temperatures. So the hotter the summer, the more the blooms! By winter, if the flowers are allowed to go to seed, the finches will have a field day as this is their favorite food.



Flower Fest - the A-Z of FlowersThis is my entry for the letter R in the Flower Fest - the A - Z of Flowers.

Flower Fest is the brainchild of Nature & Me and Sree. Every two weeks, the focus will be on a letter of the English alphabet. The current letter is R. I am submitting photographs of flowers as my entries.

Tags: , ,

2 introspections:

Anita May 18, 2007 11:16 AM  

Is that what you are doing this morning? Out on a walk?

Indian Food Rocks May 18, 2007 6:16 PM  

Um, no. I was sleeping! Seriously. I slept in. I am painfully busy till after Memorial Day so I thought I'd gear up by catching up on some critical sleep!

These pictures are from a trip to Niagara Falls around late summer 2004. This was in the landscaped area right next to the falls.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP